"To succeed, you have to feel good about where you're at!"
TRIO at DSP is dedicated to supporting Cal student with disabilities, including those from low-income backgrounds. We do so with higher touch services, events and enrichment workshops that cultivate a sense of belonging for TRIO students as well as develop the necessary skill sets to achieve their goals. In doing, we empower our students to exceed their potential while making Cal a more equitable and inclusive university.
Who We Are
We are one of nine Federal TRiO programs funded by the U.S. Department of Education that supports eligible students excel through the academic pipeline--from middle school to post-baccalaureate programs.
Together, TRIO encourages access and success in higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Karen Nielson, JD/MSW, Director, DSP and TRiO
Rochelle Brown, DSP TRiO Coordinator
Heather Yaden, DSP TRiO Learning Specialist
Jorge Ambriz, DSP TRiO Financial Literacy Advisor
Esther Green, DSP TRiO Administrative Assistant
What we do at TRIO
As a brief overview of what we do, here are some of the support services we offer.
- Individualized Academic coaching and smart goal setting
- Weekly drop-in hours
- Academic tutoring at the Student Learning Center
- Weekly social circle for students on the spectrum
- Financial Literacy Advising and workshops
- Career Development Seminars
- Academic Enrichment Training
- Student Facilitated Student Groups
- Financial Aid and Scholarships assistance
- Assistance in applying to Graduate/Professional school
Membership to a national network
As mentioned, TRiO at DSP is part of a larger national network and one of several TRiO programs at Cal. TRIO at DSP members will have an opportunity to engage in this larger TRiO community, either by attending regional and national conferences as well as TRiO-related events, such as social gatherings and Cal national TRIO Day
The Federal TRiO Programs have been in existence for over 50 years. These programs have proven to be helpful in increasing retention, academic standing, and graduation success rates. To benefit from Trio's history of success, our program eligibility requirements are as follows.
- Are you currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment as an undergraduate at UC Berkeley?
- Are you a student with disabilities?
- Can you benefit from additional support and a sense of community?
- Are you a US Citizen, National of the United States, or meet residency requirements for federal student financial aid?
If you can answer yes to these four questions, then you are eligible to apply:
- Submit an application
- Meet with the TRiO Staff member to complete an interview and create a Student Success Plan.
- Attend DSP TRiO workshops and check ins.
Once you've submitted your application, completed your personal interview and created a Student Success Plan you will receive a notification of acceptance by email.
Please keep in mind the following:
- Submitting an application or meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
- Spacing is limited and varies with each academic year.