DSP Volunteer Note-taking
The Disabled Students' Program (DSP) is looking for volunteer student note-takers who are enrolled in select courses, and are willing to share their notes. If you take detailed, well-organized notes, this is a wonderful way to make a positive difference for a fellow classmate—and receive a monetary stipend at the end of the semester. The stipend amount varies depending on the frequency or format of the course. The stipend will be prorated if you begin volunteering after 25% of the semester has elapsed or if notes are shared for only part of the semester.
- You must be currently enrolled as a student in the course in which you are willing to share notes.
- You must have a Social Security Number or Tax ID Number. For further information, go to www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayer-Identification-Numbers-(TIN).
- You must take detailed, well-organized notes.
- Freshmen are welcome to apply. If you do not have a Berkeley GPA, just write your high school GPA on the application with a small notation that indicates that it is from high school.
Duties & Responsibilities as a volunteer note-taker
- Take detailed, well organized notes. Notes are not required to be in any particular format, but should be easy to follow. Except in the case of math- and science-based classes, typed notes are preferred. If notes are handwritten, please write very legibly in pen, and be willing to re-copy notes if necessary.
- 48-hour deadline: Upload notes to a DSP bSpace site, or deliver to the DSP office within 48 hours of the conclusion of each class.
- Class anomalies: If you are absent from class, you are still responsible for sharing notes from that class meeting (either by asking a friend who is a fellow student, or a GSI). Not being responsible will result in a decrease in your stipend, or being released as a volunteer. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are absent, or if there is an exam, or if there is any other reason that notes will not be provided for that class meeting.
- Schedule changes: Notify DSP immediately if you drop a class for which you are sharing notes. We will notify you immediately if the DSP student for whom you are sharing notes drops the course. Please be aware that you may be asked to stop sharing notes at any time during the semester due to enrollment changes. Student volunteer note-takers may still receive partial stipend for sharing notes for part of the semester.
- Confidentiality: If a DSP student with whom you are sharing notes elects to introduce himself or herself to you, his or her identity must be kept confidential.
How to apply
Fill out the Volunteer Note-taker Application [pdf], print and sign your completed application, and attach a copy of the notes in the format in which you will be taking them (typed or handwritten). Copies of handwritten notes can be made in the DSP office, open Monday through Friday 8-12 and 1-5. Bring both documents to the DSP office, 260 César Chávez Student Center, or email them to email@example.com.