Financial Aid

On-Campus Resources

Financial Aid Office

Cal Student Central
120 Sproul Hall
Phone: (510) 664-9181
Fax: (510) 643-2015

Mailing Address:
Financial Aid and Scholarships Office
UC Berkeley
201 Sproul Hall #1960
Berkeley, CA 94720-1960

Financial Aid drop-in hours

The Financial Aid Office offers drop-in office hours for DSP. Contact your specialist for more information.

Understanding Student Billing (CARS) Statements

The Student Billing Services website offers detailed instructions and videos on understanding CARS billing (e-bill, payments, etc.).

Loan Forgiveness & Income-based Repayment Plan

After graduation, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness or Income based repayment. For more information, go to We have made available several Fact Sheets from Financial Literacy 101 to assist students with understanding student loans and loan forgiveness.

Reduced Course Load and Semesters of Financial Aid Eligibility

Students with disabilities receiving financial aid may take a reduced course load of 6.0 - 11.0 units. Discuss with your specialist if you have a need for a reduced course load.

The Financial Aid Office may extend semesters of financial aid eligibility for students on a reduced course load.

Note that if you receive a Cal Grant or Pell Grant, a reduced course load may affect the amount of financial aid that you receive.

If you need to withdraw, please note that if you withdraw and your last day of attendance is after the 60% point of the semester, you will keep all of your financial aid. If you withdraw before 60% of the semester has passed you will be expected to pay back at least part of your financial aid. For more information and deadline date, go to "Withdrawing and Your Financial Aid"

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

In order to maintain satisfactory academic progress, you must complete the number of approved units you are enrolled in for any semester. Also, if you have submitted a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal, you must complete all units specified in the SAP agreement.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Services for low-income first-generation students. Depending on the need, EOP may offer nominal grants for emergency use.

Social Services

Social Services provides confidential services and counseling to help students with managing problems that can emerge from illness or disability such as financial, academic, legal, family concerns, and more.

ASUC VITA: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

ASUC Legal Clinic's trained and IRS-certified volunteers will help with simple income tax preparations, and referrals to more complex preparation services.

Grants and Scholarships

Scholarship Connection

Scholarship Connection is a clearinghouse for information on scholarships that are funded by sources outside the University.

5 Durant Hall
Alicia Hayes
(510) 643-6929

DSP Student Technology Grant

Students with disabilities who have filled out a FAFSA may apply for the DSP Student Technology Grant. The intent of the grant is to recognize the unique needs of students with disabilities for assistive technology or specialized equipment that either improves access to instructional material or promotes physical independence. The DSP Student Technology Grant is not an emergency source of funding and can only be used toward assistive technology. DSP/TRIO students receive priority for the grant.

Benefits for people with disabilities

Social Security Disability Insurance

Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured", meaning that you worked long enough and paid social security taxes. Supplemental Security Income pays benefits based on financial need.

Disability Benefits 101

Disability Benefits 101 gives you tools and information on health coverage, benefits, and employment. You can plan ahead and learn how school, work, and benefits go together.