Frequently Asked Questions - Faculty

What if I am concerned about, or object to, a recommendation in DSP's "letter of accommodation?"

We encourage you to contact the DSP specialist who signed the Letter of Accommodation (LOA) if you have any concerns regarding the LOA, whether because you require more clarity, or whether you have concerns about the LOA possibly conflicting with the academic integrity of your course requirements. You are not obligated to fundamentally alter your course, nor are accommodations retroactive.

What can I do to help prevent problems related to students with disabilities in my classes?

Your responsibilities are to: 1) assure equal opportunity in your classes for all students, including those with disabilities who are qualified to be in your classes; and to 2) protect DSP students' confidentiality. You can also make sure all course-related websites are accessible to users with various disabilities, in particular those with print disabilities. See the Web Accessibility website.

Per Dr. Catherine Koshland, Vice Chancellor of Undergraduate Education, February 18, 2015 e-mail to Faculty, she notes: 

A student with a disability is enrolled in my class. What adjustments or other accommodations must I make?

If a student requests accommodations, other than what you would normally provide any other student, then you should inform them to go to their DSP SCARAB login to request a "letter of accommodation" (LOA) from DSP to be sent to you. Once you have been sent the electronic copy of the LOA, then you are required to provide the stated accommodations. Accommodations are not retroactive, so you are not responsible for provision of accommodations prior to receipt of the LOA. As a result, it is in the students' best interests to have the LOA sent to you as early as possible in the  semester.

How do I arrange a wheelchair-accessible classroom?

Contact your Department Scheduler. S/he will make the necessary arrangements, including any contact with the Office of the Registrar. If you don't know who your Department Scheduler is, you can find out by calling 642-0313.

How far in advance must students with disabilities inform an instructor about needed accommodations?

Students who work with DSP are strongly urged to communicate with instructors as soon as possible. However, the University must make every feasible effort to accommodate students regardless of the notice.