"To succeed, you have to feel good about where you're at!"
TRIO at DSP is dedicated to supporting Cal student with disabilities, including those from low-income backgrounds. We do so with higher touch services, events and enrichment workshops that cultivate a sense of belonging for TRIO students as well as develop the necessary skill sets to achieve their goals. In doing, we empower our students to exceed their potential while making Cal a more equitable and inclusive university.
Who We Are
We are one of nine Federal TRiO programs funded by the U.S. Department of Education that supports eligible students excel through the academic pipeline--from middle school to post-baccalaureate programs.
Together, TRIO encourages access and success in higher education for historically excluded students.
Karen Nielson, JD/MSW, Director, DSP and TRiO at DSP
Rochelle Brown, Coordinator, TRiO at DSP
Vacant, Learning Specialist, TRIO at DSP
Esther Green, MPA, Student Services Assistant, TRIO at DSP
What we do at TRIO
At TRiO at DSP, we provide high touch services in cultivating a supportive community at Cal. We provide students with the following support
- Individualized Academic coaching and smart goal setting
- Weekly drop-in hours
- Academic tutoring at the Student Learning Center
- Weekly social circle for students on the spectrum
- Student enrichment workshop series, such as
- Financial Literacy workshops
- Career planning workshops
- Academic skills workshops
- Open student hours in the DSP TRiO center
- Financial Aid and Scholarships assistance, including when applying to Graduate/Professional school
- Assistance in applying to Graduate/Professional school
Membership to a national network
As mentioned, TRiO at DSP is part of a larger national network and one of several TRiO programs at Cal. TRIO at DSP members will have an opportunity to engage in this larger TRiO community, either by attending regional and national conferences as well as TRiO-related events, such as social gatherings and Cal national TRIO Day
This is the 50th year anniversary of the Federal TRiO programs. These programs have proven to be helpful in increasing the retention, good academic standing, and graduation rates. To benefit from TRiO’s history of success, all TRIO at DSP students must comply with the following expectations:
- Submit an application
- Meet with the TRiO at DSP Specialist to complete an interview and create a Student Success Plan (SSP) and sign a participation agreement
- Attend TRiO at DSP workshops and check ins.
In other words, be an active and engaged TRIO at DSP community member!!
If you can answer “yes” to all four (4) of these questions then you may be eligible to apply:
- Are you currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment as an undergraduate at UC Berkeley?
- Do you have a Social Security Number?
- Are you a student with disabilities?
- Can you benefit from additional support and a sense of community?
Please keep in mind the following:
- Submitting an application or meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
- Spacing is limited and varies with each academic year.
- Eligible students not accepted will be waitlisted until space becomes available.
- You do not need to be in DSP in order to be accepted into TRiO at DSP.