Documentation for DSP

Students applying for DSP accommodations should provide DSP with the preferred disability documentation listed below in order to determine eligibility for DSP services. If the documents listed are not available to you, please submit any documentation you have and complete your DSP application.

The University Health Services Care Manager can speak with students about their needs and help them navigate services at the Tang Center. Assistance includes making appointments for DSP documentation, coordinating care with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) or Social Services, and helping to connect to other resources and support that might be needed. Please call the UHS Care Manager at 510-664-9926.  

The disability documentation students submit must, at minimum, verify two things: (1) the presence of a diagnosed disability or medical condition and (2) the current impact of the diagnosed disability or medical condition. At your appointment with a Disability Specialist, your Disability Specialist will guide you further if additional documentation is needed. Note that while submitting the documentation forms listed is not mandatory in order to be considered for services, it can facilitate the process.

DSP follows the Association for Higher Education for Disability (AHEAD) Professional Association's Guidelines: Supporting Accommodation Requests: Guidance on Documentation(link is external)

Autism Spectrum Disorder

  • Please have your psychiatrist or other mental health professional complete the Certification of Psychological Disability and/or submit records of a psycho-educational evaluation which includes ASD diagnosis.

Legal Blindness or Visual Impairment

  • A copy of your most recent eye examination results from your ophthalmologist or optometrist verifying your legal blindness or other visual impairment. In general, applicants utilizing conductive lenses must have a corrected vision of not less than 20/200 to be eligible for DSP services.
  • If you do not meet this requirement but have a visual impairment that significantly impacts your academic performance, you may still be eligible for services.

Deafness or Hard of Hearing

Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorder

Relevant policy/practice: In order for DSP to assess the impact your disability may have on your academic performance, the verification you submit should meet either or both of these policies:

Psychological Disabilities

Relevant policy/practice: University of California Practices for the Assessment and Accommodation of Students with Psychological Disabilities.

Mobility Impairment, Speech Impairment, Acquired Brain Injury, Chronic Illness, or Other Disabilities Not Listed Above

Where can I get more information?

For more information on the Disabled Students' Program, including relevant university policies and practices, please explore this website. You may also call (510) 642-0518. For Deaf and Hard of Hearing only call our TTY Relay Service at (510) 642-6376, or write to us at:

Disabled Students' Program
260 César E. Chávez Student Center, #4250
Berkeley, CA 94720-4250